Saturday, March 3, 2012

+++Let'sTalk some more about the Balconies+++


Question:  Hi Mike. Your blog of Friday  March 2/2012:   I have one question for you:  where do you stand on the issue about the balcony?

Thanks for the question:  it will give me something to talk about in today’s blog. 

Basically, here’s where I stand:

 We will choose a contractor within a week. Maybe Monday, (which I think is unseemly, because the Board may change in only a few days; and a new board should not be bound by a decision made at the last minute by  the old board.) 

 But, the old Board does have the right to vote—so, we’ll have to wait and see what plays out on Monday night at six.


We expect our engineer to come to the meeting with some new information on the cost differential between taking the balconies down completely, and repairing them

 Be there, if you can! 
  
That said:  I want to get the work rolling immediately. Preparation by the contractor starting now. Actual work ASAP. 

The question of the railings:  I saw at the meeting that one-half of the room wanted glass and the other half wanted to save the money and keep the existing railings. The Condo Association  seems to be equally divided. I’d like to poll the entire membership – and let them know what the additional cost will be for glass.

One thing that I want to avoid is making any aesthetic decisions.  If we go to  glass we would need a designer to make renderings. The glass decision does not have to be made immediately. We would have a few weeks while the balconies are taken down,   to make that decision. 

But, I do not want to be any part of any decision involving aesthetics. There will be four hundred different ideas for the glass. I leave that decision to smarter heads.

 As there is more work down the road, we should discuss financing. There are a few alternatives:
  • A loan taken out by the Association. Payments would be much smaller, but payable over a period of several years;  
  • A large, one time assessment;
  • A series of assessments over the next few years;
  • A combination of the above. 
 Owners may come up with additional ideas. 


Here's a list (in no particular order) of future projects.  

  • Pavers and waterproofing around the pool.
  • East wall and stairway,  pool to promenade. (related to above)
  • Pavers and waterproofing around the building.
  • Concrete restoration in G-1, and G-2.
  • Final repair of North and South Roofs, (possible payment by insurance)
  • Southpoint Owner to Management Communication system.
  •  Improvement of South and North lounges
  • Improvement of Card Rooms
  • Beach and pool furniture changes
  • Replacement of carpeting in hallways
  • Painting of hallways 
  •  

I left two bullets open -- I am sure that I've left something out. 


We will get estimates for each of these items, then we will prioritize the list, deciding what should be done first, second and so forth. 


I hope that I've answered your question. Thanks again!  

After I posted the above blog, an owner commented. I'm adding it today, and I'll repeat it tomorrow.  As you can see, he doesn't agree with me--but he has good arguments that are worth thinking about.


Dear Director Michael E Katz, and
Hi to the very respected board members of Southpoint condominium and all neighbors.

We all spend money to repair common areas for instance, the lobby, elevators, gyms, our pool, but balconies are not common, not public areas, balconies completely private owner's areas.

We are not trying to replace kitchens or repair a California closet. 

To take care of the balcony is the responsibility of the unit owner, if the balcony is in bad condition it is the unit owner's negligence. 

If in any bathroom water leaks on floor and stays there will also  tile damage and if for  a long period water will damage  concrete  and metal rebar could show up. Does it mean condominium must repair this bathroom? No,  

Southpoint office could help to set up repair but will bill unit owner for the repair cost. 

Must tiles on the balconies  be the same? No, it could be different or even no tiles. 

Shape of the balconies and color must be same, but tiles could be different. We have different balcony doors, we have different furniture. 

So, I don’t see any reason to replace our balconies.  And glass on the balcony will not add value to property,  beautiful lobby, yes,  nice gym with sauna, yes,  spa and jacuzzi at the pool, yes,  full service beach area, yes.   

But glass on balconies very little, not in relation to very high price. And it is very hard to expect glass could stop wind. 

This is my opinion, all of us unit owners have to make a decision. Thank you very much,


Andrey Koroshikh unit owner 2103N.    




 A few people have written and asked for my election picks. I don't think that this blog is the place for electioneering. I'll be happy to tell you in person, or by email or phone. Just ask.  

Whether I win or lose, I'll be continuing the blog, and I hope you'll continue to check it. Please tell your friends.


.mike




Michael E Katz
Director
954-563-0959
Katz8356@comcast.net

www.Southpoint-Condo.Blogspot.com